Saturday, September 12, 2009

What the eff? Pt. 2

On the other side of the Apricot tree from the Amaryllis (thanks, guys!) is more dirt. Mostly shaded, but occasionally it gets some sun. Imagine my surprise when there was a lone spot of purple amidst the dirt (and renegade ivy.)



Some kind of purple trumpet flower. It's pretty, but completely rogue.
Close up:

So odd.

We've also got...um...walnuts?

Tree:


Fruit:


Fallen Fruit:


Nut?


Ok. So this is what it looked like after Husband had rinsed most of the rotten fruit off of it. We couldn't get it open, so I tried cracking it with a big ol' nail and out hammer. It's mocking me. We gave up.

If it helps, the nut smells burned, like smokey ash.

I would say that we'll just leave these for the raccoons for now, but they don't even seem to want them. Maybe it's not edible, after all?

6 comments:

♥ ♥ ♥ said...

Wowwww... You have THE CRAZIEST yard!! The purple flower looks like a petunia to me, fwiw. The nut/fruit. No friggin' clue. Maybe the raccoons will come and crack them open and leave behind the parts you don't eat and you can figure it out!

Ladybug said...

I was thinking the flower looks like a morning glory. Is it coming from that vine behind it? If yes, def. a morning glory. LOVE THEM!

Bob said...

It's a morning glory. The tree is a walnut.

Anonymous said...

yes, it's a morning glory and it's considered a weed here in Sydney. It will cover and grow over everything if you let it (maybe not such a bad thing in your patch of dirt :P ). The flowers are very pretty but don't last once picked.

t

Anonymous said...

Looks like a black walnut tree to me. I grew up with one right in my front yard - I don't think they're edible though....

Steph said...

Hi, came across your blog by way of the kitchn. Saw this post and thought I might help. Walnuts are edible, but it is hard to get the outer shell off (my parents lay theirs out in the driveway and drive over them for a while before getting the nut). Then, the nut part is probably pretty green still. Most nuts need to 'cure' for a bit before they are truly edible. I picked up some hickory nuts a few weeks ago and had a similar problem. Not sure how long you would have to let it sit for, you would need to research that. Hope this helps! I've enjoyed reading your blog.