Friday, December 19, 2008

Summer Kitchen

Our new digs in the South Bay have all the modern comforts (minus a coat-closet)...including a Summer Kitchen. In case you, like my husband and our landlord, have no idea what that is, it's a kitchen on the property, but separate from the main house. In our case, added onto the one-car garage. The purpose of this is to be able to bake and cook to your heart's delight without baking and cooking your housemates in the August heat - they're leftover from the pre-central-air days. Farmhouses generally have them. A genius invention, actually.

Unfortunately, ours shares space with the laundry machines and was clearly last decorated in what I like to call the Harvest Gold Heyday. I'm not to be deterred, though. I plan to hang some posters, install a 1950's era card table and a couple of chairs and create a nice place to store off-season cookbooks and excess freezer goods.

Here's the before image:

I love that there's storage out here. It makes me almost giddy. There might be more storage in this room than in our entire life.

The bed is going to Salvation Army and being replaced with a card table and chairs. On the right you'll note up by the door there's a washing machine and them directly next to that is a hand-washing machine. I have no idea how to use it and I had to ask what it was. Tips?


Stay Tuned for the after. And try to reign in your jealousy.

2 comments:

Ana said...

Kind of inconvenient but still cool, I can't wait to see how it turns out.

As for the weird hand wash thing I would sell it on ebay.

Unknown said...

Hummm. I always thought that the detached kitchen idea originated in the days of Washington and Jefferson (for those that could afford them) such that when the cook burned down the kitchen the rest of the house didn't go with it! Sounds like a grand adventure!