Friday, January 16, 2009

Once Begun, Half Done

Mary Poppins was cracked. I began well over a week ago and let me tell you that I was not instantly "half-done." Not even remotely. In fact, it wasn't until Tuesdayish that I considered myself half done. I barely consider myself Half Done now.

What is half-done, you ask? Simple- the Guest Room.


It's the empty square at the top of the floor plan. (Our room is in the front of the house, which I normally don't like, but it's bigger.)

You might remember it looking something like this:


And as of Wednesday, it looks like this:

(those boxes contain items which belong in the Garage...where they will be placed this weekend. Another project altogether.)

And:


The cats have since been locked out of the room in order to protect it for future guests who might be allergic (dear friends and my Mother-In-Law) also to protect our chair from their claws.

The chair used to be covered in this completely destroyed avocado green polyester itchy grody upholstery. My sister inherited it from my father who got it from a friend who built it during while he was pursuing his architecture degree. Structurally, that chair might survive nuclear holocaust. She hated it, so I took it. Because it's a nice scale and it's cozy.


I had it recovered in Soho Serenade in Noir (cut velvet, Robert Allen, to the trade) and now she loves it. She's got too much pride to say she wants it back, but I can see it in her eyes. And the fact that before we moved, she always lounged in it.

The console table was a present from Husband from Room and Board. I'd like you to the table, but I can't find it on their site.

The bookcase is second hand and originally Storehouse. I think it might survive nuclear holocaust as well. I'm still trying to decide what other books are going on it. Suggestions?

We're getting this daybed, as inspired by this blog. If you don't read her blog, you should. She's actually in the process of converting the guest room to a nursery and it's so inspiring.

I promise to post pictures.

P.S. Don't you just love the flying saucer light fixture? It's like something out of an Ed Wood movie. And don't you love that there's nothing I can do about it because we're renting and we'll likely only be here for a year before I (probably) go insane and must leave the suburbs?

More pictures forthcoming. We're going to IKEA this weekend. Woohoo!

No comments: